POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting good glows over high-intensity areas : Re: area lights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area lights
From: Slime
Date: 20 Jul 2005 17:16:14
Message: <42debf1e$1@news.povray.org>
>   4, 4 // number of sources for each axis (above). integers only

So low! I generally use 17, 17 myself. Maybe I could go lower if I used
jitter more often, but I still recommend using higher numbers than 4; the
jittering with such a low number probably forces otherwise unnecessary
anti-aliasing.

Of course, with such high numbers it's very important to use adaptive (so
that you don't actually shoot a full 17x17=289 shadow rays); adaptive 1 has
always worked best for me.

Finally, I also recommend using a number which is one greater than a power
of 2 (3, 5, 9, 17, 33) because these make the most sense with the adaptive
process (See the second picture at
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/313/ , which demonstrates why
this makes sense).

 - Slime